It was founded in 1825 in the village of Nuits-Saint-Georges under Joseph Faiveley, a wine merchant who had a desire for travel. In the beginning of the 19th Century, trade had begun between Burgundy and northern Europe, predominantly along the rivers and canals connecting the two regions. Merchants from Burgundy would travel along these paths to exchange their wines for textiles. Joseph Faiveley was one of these merchants, introducing his Burgundian wine to the world. Today, the house is run by seventh-generation Erwan Faiveley, and the company has expanded its footprint in the Côte de Beaune, and has vineyards throughout the Côte de Nuits, as well as in the Côte Chalonnaise and Chablis.
Domaine Faiveley is best known for its Pinot Noir and Chardonnay wines, but small amounts of Aligoté are also planted in the Côte Chalonnaise. Currently, Faiveley has 10 hectares (25 acres) of grand cru vineyards out of a total of 115ha (285 acres). Faiveley owns parcels in Gevrey-Chambertin, Bâtard-Montrachet, Volnay and Pommard to name a few, however these are very fragmented with no single site being more than 1ha. The company also buys grapes from other growers.
Traditional winemaking with a modern twist is key in the production of wines from Domaine Faiveley. Modern barrel presses as well as custom wooden vats are combined with long aging in deep 19th-Century cellars to produce deep and rich red wines that need age to show their best.